Skip to main content

Macro photography in micro budget

It has been a long time since I have posted anything here. I don't want to make any promises by saying that I will be regular in my future blog posts because whenever i have said that have always ended up doing the exact opposite of it, anyway I have been wanting to share this post for quite some time now with you all. 

I do not own a high end dslr camera or other expensive macro lenses but have always been fascinated with macro photography and wanted to try out the same with whatever equipment I've had. so one fine afternoon ended up doing some experiment with my hand held magnifying lenses.


They might definitely not give you the professional results of the high end lenses but they definitely did not turn out bad either.  Please do let me know what you think of the results in the comments.


Equipment:
Camera: Lumix FZ 35
Tripod: A tripod
Hand held magnifying lens: 90mm

Experiment: Macro shots of oil in water
Equipment:
1) Glass bowl
2) Glass Table/ (rectangular/square) piece of glass
3) Water
4) Oil 
5) dropper
6) Colorful pieces of cloth/paper


Setup your tripod in such a manner that the camera lens is focusing inside the glass bowl. Then take a dropper and take some oil. Any oil would do but you can try out with various oils. You might get different results depending on the oil used as each one has a different color and the way it interacts with water and light can give you a different result.


I shot these in natural light as I have a huge glass window and the light that comes through it is amazing in the afternoon. You might want to try it out with artificial light as well.


The colorful pieces of cloth/paper is to give color to your drops of oil. The glass table/ (rectangualar/square) piece of glass helps in letting the colorful light fall on the drops and give a overall tinge of color to your shot.

Since this was an experiment did not take shots of the whole setup while shooting this series but will in future take those shots as well so you get a clear picture of how it is to be done. 

These photos are available for sale on my redbubble store. Here is how it looks on an iphone 7
If you end up trying this out then do let me know how your photos turned out by posting the link to it in the comments section. Happy experimenting 😊😊.

Comments